HOME OF THE BRAVE…

YES WE CAN!  The mantra chanted by millions as Barak Obama swept to power eight years ago. We were enchanted by his charisma, his rhetoric and not least his smile which gave hope to the masses anticipating the sea change they had voted for. Cynics among us warned us not to be naive, reminding us  where the real power lay and the seats at the table forever assured by financial contribution to campaigns, sadly they were Screen shot 2016-04-06 at 12.33.44right.  It takes more than  hope  to bring about change – it takes courage and effective action and the  machinations of power and control were revealed almost immediately, leaving  the new President impotent. Whether we believe this to be unintended consequence or just part of the plan, the result is the same.

Do we need another Obama? Obama seized the executive power entrusted to his office, reform of gun control, immigration and ominously  martial law are now enshrined in Executive Orders with a precedent set. How would Cruz, Trump, Clinton, Sanders use that power? While for many  Bernie Sanders might be seen to have inherited the mantle as the next great hope to  bring about the political revolution, if elected he would surely find himself as hog tied as those who have made valiant attempts in the past. Nevertheless the revolution has begun. Whoever inherits the White House at such a momentous time will be faced with the reality of a seismic shift and a shift is surely needed to begin the redress the balance of inequality.

It is estimated that the current campaign has cost $6 billion to date, with another 7 months to go this is expected to top $10 billion.  A glance at who is bank rolling the parties might give us a clue as to future policy.

 Hilary Clinton used her impressive international political status to amass a  campaign war chest  in the years of Obama’s presidency, drawing criticism for the influence her corporate funding will inevitably bring.  Bernie Sanders rose from the position of rank outsider funded by individual campaign contributions averaging  $27 which accumulated to rival  Hilary Clintons fund. Ted Cruz is said to have spent $2 billion dollars on his previous campaign and benefits from traditional Republican corporate funding while a central plank of billionaire businessman Donald Trump’s campaign is that having personally funded it he is free of corporate influence.

Quote: “Permit me to issue and control the money of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”–  Mayer Amschel Rothschild who understood that it is not who sits in the White House but who controls the money.

(Top line indicates external corporate fund raising, the lower line, internal campaign donations)

Screen shot 2016-04-06 at 12.24.27

At February 2016  America currently had a national debt of  $19,012,827,698,418. with a projected figure of $26 trillion by the end of this decade.

A recently updated research project found that  U.S. wars in Iraq and Afghanistan  cost $3.7 trillion with an additional $490 billion in benefits owed to war veterans, expenses that could grow to more than $6 trillion over the next four decades counting interest…

Meanwhile

  •  More than 16 million children (22% of all children in America) live below the federal poverty line.
  • The United Sates has less than 5% of the world population it has 25% of the worlds total prison population and while people of colour make up some 30% of the US population they account for 60% of those imprisoned.
  • The US is the only nation among Western developed nations which does not guarantee access to health care.

To quote Ghandi:, When asked what he thought of Western democracy he answered:  “I think it would be a good idea”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>